Friday 3 August 2012

Layer Over Layer...

...I dunno about you but I can't believe that we are already in August... someone deffo pressed the fast-forward button this year, of that I am sure! And... August means birthday's... namely two birthday boys this month: Grim tomorrow, who is celebrating a milestone birthday and my little AlfieCat who is 9 on 28th! Anyways, enough about birthday's and on with today's card, or should I say, cards.



These were a couple of samples I did for the Spellbinders Pick of the Week and I never got chance to do them as demo's because a lot of the stock had whizzed off the shelves and headed off to your Rooms of Stash. Both of them are done using the same technique - not sure if it has a name because I don't think I have seen anyone demo-ing this... I happen to love it though... it appeals to my layer-y (a new word for the Hels' Dictionary lol)



Basically, take a mask or 6 (ok, you don't need that many, that is just how many I used) For the base of the layers, pop your mask onto cardstock, attach it on the edges with a smidge of masking tape and swoosh over the top with a very pale Distress Stain... I used Old Paper.




Then take some co-ordinating Distress Inks and use a colour for each mask. Blend DI over the masks, doing it in random fashion so the whole mask isn't covered, a bit at a time... building the colours and layers as you go. Voila, a cool background! I have some masks on my next show (Sunday 12th... shh, don't let on that you know though... I will try to get a demo of this technique ready for then)




Right, I had better get a move on... remember that "to do" list? Well *she says, polishing halo* I now have 3 things left on it to do! Oh yesh, I turned into a whirling dervish yesterday and managed to multi-task, getting all of the things done apart from my hair (still looks like feathers) nails (all cacky and inky) and the Sunday Stamper... a new theme on Sunday. Thanks for looking... as ever... have a FAB day! TTFN

Hels x

17 comments:

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Well done with all your layer-y. Love your spring colours!

Kath Stewart said...

loving your layery masky technique hels...birthday hugs to grim for tomorrow and I'm saving my hug for Alfie cat til later in the month...hugs kath xxx

Kathryn said...

It's layertastic lol love the pinky one x well done for doing your to dos lol I'm still struggling with doing the list lol xx

Jenny Marples said...

What layery loveliness Hels. The thought of you as a whirling dervish makes me smile - you are something of a superhero (just keep the underwear on the inside!!) Huge happy birthday wishes to Grim. Hope you celebrate loads. Hugs, Buttons x

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Hels, I love your layer-y technique and the colourways are beautiful. I particularly love the sentiment on the top card, it is beautiful. My 2 cats had their 6th birthday Tuesday 31st July, I sang Happy Birthday to them but they looked at me like I was silly ha ha. Lots of love from Patricia xx

lydia jordan said...

Hi Hels,
Very pretty cards love the colours great technique to try.
Have a good day.
Lydia
X

Marleine said...

Morning Hels,
Lovely card and beautiful colours. I too enjoy doing this technique. Just love my masks. X

hazel young said...

Love the layery technique Hels will have to give it a try as i have loads of masks to play with xx hazel

Redanne said...

Hi Hels, 297 down to 3 in one day!! You really are a super hero, I need some tips from you......the cards are lovely and what a great technique, must away and try that one. Birthday wishes to Grim for tomorrow. My OH is 70 next week, can't believe it and neither can he, where does the time go........Crafty hugs, Anne x

Carole Z said...

Hi Hels...gorgeous is all I can add!!!! Happy Birthday to Grim and Alfie :) Twas my husband, Tom's yesterday so day off today to go out explore our lovely Cotswolds...in the rain :) X

Planetsusie said...

Ooh thanks for showing us this techinique Hels - I am now keeping a notebook detailing the new techniques that I want to learn and also use. Your cards are beautiful, love the colours - er the pink one makes me think of sherbet - always food!!!

Happy birthday greetings to Grim and Alfiecat.

Hugs Sue P xxx

Karen Petitt said...

Now me need some more masks - wonderful technique thanks Hels! Love the colours you've used here hugs karen

Craftychris said...

Both cards are really cool and I love the technique! Must get my masks and inks out! xx

Shazza said...

fab cards Hels, Happy birthday to Grim x

Annie said...

A very Happy Birthday to your DH when it comes. I have a vast run if birthdays & anniversaries from mid June -mid August .........hectic !! Love your make and wish you had been able to demo as your demo's are fab x

Hugs Annie x

Sue said...

WOW!! I have discovered your wonderful blog.
I love your creations and such fab details and instructions given too.
Thanks for sharing. I am now one of your many followers!!

Sue

milena60 said...

Красивенько получилось..

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails