Friday 22 March 2013

Two Cards... Two Ways... One Mask

...yikes!  Where did this week go huh? I am working on a big project at the moment - you know, one of those that starts out pretty small and kind of grows as you are going along?   Well, I had intended to get it finished and blogged today.  HA! Not a chance, I am still a-faffing with the embellishments!   So, instead I have two more sample cards from last Thursdays show.  They are both using the gorgeous That Special Touch mask but used in a different way from each other.  Here's card numero uno *ooh get me going all foreign of a Friday morning!*   When I am inking/spraying through a mask, I tend to use re-po tape and stick the mask in place so there are no disappointing nudges going on.  Once in place, I lightly blended Scattered Straw, Forest Moss and Seedless Preserves DI through the mask, making sure I blended the colours nicely on the flowers.  Once done, I lifted the mask and gave the whole card a zap with a heat tool to set the ink.  Distress Ink stays wetter for longer so it is worth remembering to do the heaty bit.  I used Scattered Straw DI to blend around the edges of the card and then edged with Seedless Preserves to form a frame.  The butterflies were stamped in Jet Black Archival, cut out, then pounced with the same Distress colours but this time in Stains.  Another zap with a heat tool to dry them and a sentiment stamped in Jet Black Archival.  The little buzzy bee is an Embellish Your Art piece, how cute is he!




Card 2 was made by flipping the mask over to have a different orientation.  I taped it into place and misted Cosmic Misting Inks through the mask... I used Meadow Lime, Clover and Blue Cotton colours.  Before I lifted the mask I lightly dabbed over it with tissue paper to remove the excess and then carefully lifting the mask up so I didn't get any splodgey bits where I didn't want them.  The sentiment *Studio 490* is stamped onto an offcut of the cardstock that was over-sprayed.  The butterflies are coloured with Blue Cotton Misting Ink, applied with a paintbrush.  I added some little lines of fine black pen to make some faux stitching and another card was done.  Simples huh?



Anyways... I bet you are all *dying* to know about the Ukelele lesson (ok, I know you ain't but I can pretend rofl)  Well, I can report that I did, indeedily, play a whole tune!  Oh yesh, I am now capable of playing... Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!  I am thinking of changing my surname to Hendrix ... or maybe Slash... or perhaps even Weedon (ahem... quite!)  Ok, so I still have a loooong way to go before I will be leaning on a lamp-post but I am going to practice and master this little instrument that is just too cute!  I shall leave you with the song I am aiming to be, one day, able to play... HERE on YouTube.   Thanks for looking... have a FAB day!  **keep warm... brrrr... someone needs to have a word in old Mother Nature's shell-like, snow, in Spring... gah!**  TTFN

Hels x

21 comments:

EmmaT said...

Morning Hels, gorgeous cheerful cards today, gives the feel of summer on this very wet day. Emma

Helen said...

They are just gorgeous,Hels'! Bright bright sunshiney day, eh? Where have you flown to, then?!!!

rachel said...

fabulous cards Hels - just perfect to brighten up my snowy day!!! Hugs x

Claudine said...

Both beautiful cards, gotta love those stencils. Can't wait to see what your project is that your working on.

Gail said...

Luv both the cards and like you luv the mask (not managed to get it yet tho) I watched your link last time you put in your blog and again today and each time it makes me go 'goosey' what a wonderful voice xx have a good weekend xx Gail T xx

Marleine said...


Hi Hels,

Love the cards. The colours in the 2nd one are beautiful. X

Becky said...

Fab cards Hels and Thanks for the link to you tube he was very good.

Redanne said...

Hi Hels, so looking forward to you being able to play like Israel! Love your cards today, just what we need amidst the blizzards and icy winds here..... Hugs, Anne x

nannapat said...

Fab cards Hels - good imagination you've got, thinking about spring!! It's bloomin' freezing up here in the north east. Have a great weekend. Pat x

Pat said...

Fab cards Hels. Can't wait to see your project.

Jenny Marples said...

I think your fabulous cards are the most springlike things we will be seeing this weekend!! Love the way you have used these masks.
Will you be giving concerts by the summer? Maybe we will see you at Glastonbury sometime in pink wellies!! Have a great weekend Hels, hugs Jenny x

Karen Petitt said...

They're both gorgeous Hels! Have you let them know at Glastonbury that you can appear this year hun lol? Yes, very cheeky of me I know. I couldn't go listen to that song again because the story made me cry - it's a beautiful rendition of Over the Rainbow and good on you learning something new! Hope you have a fab weekend and it gets more spring like soon! Karen x

ria gall said...

Hi Hels
Two fantastic cards just loving those colours you have used and the mask is on my to get list.
Can't wait to come and do a workshop with you where you will be playing and entertaining us in the coffee break!
Ria

Annie said...

Fantastic cards Hels. Love those stencils

Hugs
Annie x

carol edwards said...

Hi Hels great cards. A beautiful song
Carol E

whyducks said...

Dear George Fornby,
I want to hear Twinkle twinkle, stamping foot! One lesson and you can play a tune, amazing! Think what you can do after 5 lessons!!!!! Great cards, my favourite is the second one!
Well done you x

Carole Z said...

Hi Hels, super summery cards..loving those stencils, Carole Z X

Caroline said...

Unfortunately the video won't play on my phone - incompatible (story of my life)!
However, cards are wonderful & can't wait to see the ever growing project. I have one going on at mo' & it's DRIVING ME INSANE (ok, more insane than already am). Why is it with anything else it'd be long gone, binned but with craft we suddenly become determined?? Must be love! Have a great weekend, raining here (should be crafting but mojo's gone walkabout). Oh do shut up Caroline, blah blah blah blah... Byeee :))

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Hels, Two fantastic cards, using the same mask, but the change in orientation and colourway makes such a difference, love them both.
Glad you had a good ukelele lesson, can't wait to listen when you get more 'professional', I always wanted to learn the piano but never got around to it. They always say 'never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today, and that is so true ha ha.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Joanne said...

What a lovely stancil, another for my list so I can make some super cards like yours - well not exactly like yours, that's impossible, but I can make some that will be a lot more messy!!!! As for the song you are aiming to play, you could play that now as he's only playing cords according to Hank Marvin here....
xx

lydia jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails