Wednesday 30 January 2013

Been Playing...

...with my new set of Tim Holtz stamps!  I had a happy little time getting thoroughly covered in ink whilst playing with this new set of Tim stamps that I was lucky enough to receive at CHA... and a signed set no less!!!   The set is called Time Travellers and it is one of the hand sketched by Brett Weldele sets.   The chap I have used on my tag reminds me of a tycoon of the Industrial Revolution, you know, someone like Isambard Kingdom Brunel, which is why I added the "discover" word... except I know IKB had the tallest stove pipe hat.. maybe Abraham Derby III (can you guess that the Industrial Revolution is one of my pet subjects? I am fascinated by it all!  I even chose this subject to be the majority of the History A Level that I did at night school! Such is my lurve for it!!! Night school!!!)



The tag backgound was created by splodging Iced Spruce, Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean and Frayed Burlap Stains onto my craft sheet, misting lighty with a spritz of water and then smooshing the tag through the inkiness.  Once dried, I picked up little dots of colour to add some depth to the background.  Once this was dry, I edged the whole tag with Walnut Stain Distress Ink to create a frame for the tag.  Next came some stamping - Jet Black Archival as usual - stamping the sketch cogs onto the base of the tag and then the schematic from Tim's Steampunk stamp set.  I then set about making something dimensional for the tag and cut some cogs from the Gears Alterations die using Grungeboard... and coloured them with Distress Inks... a little tip... to get ink into the recess areas that the blending tool won't reach - use a Cut & Dry nib, works a treat!




I stamped Lord Snooty (he does look ever so slightly snooty doesn't he!) in Jet Black Archival ink and then used a paintbrush and Distress Stains to colour him in - Vintage Photo, Peeled Paint, Pumice Stone and then a blend of Frayed Burlap DI over the top.  He was then layered onto 3D foam and popped onto the tag.  Finishing touches were the adding of Idea-ology - yes, I got a little over excited and used a tonne of it... nowt new there then lol   The word "discover" is actually a Chit Chat Sticker that I snipped to size and then popped it onto a File Tab and added the epoxy sticker over the top.  And there you have it... my first make using the new stamps from the one and only Duke of Distress!




Anyways... guess what!!!  It would appear that I am suffering from Soooper JetLagintons!  Oh yesh, this is a condition that can make one be wide awake most of the night and want to sleep most of the day... and also means that one is a tad forgetful *oh aye, just like normal then* and also means that one has to spend most of ones time in an ink covered state whilst allowing the dust bunnies to multiply and ironing to remain in a crumpled heap.  Oh dear, I am just trying to make excuses for being a slattern again... although I am a smidge busy in the Room of Stash... I am prepping for my classes this weekend at Birds In The Barn in Marks Tey, Essex... BTW, I am doing a demo-day there on Sunday so if you are at a loose end, it would be FAB to see you!  Right, I shall away... there are some Distress Inks that are calling me..... Thanks for looking... TTFN!

Hels x

23 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I lurve Lord Snooty!!! The colors are fabby, and the gears and lightbulbs are too! Great steam punk feel! Marvelous work darling!!!

rachel said...

fabulous colours Hels and all the details are amazing - great new stamp too xx

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Hels, This is the set that I want when they come here, I love the 'Moustache Man', great tag, fantastic colours.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I lurve Lord Snooty!!! The colors are fabby, and the gears and lightbulbs are too! Great steam punk feel! Marvelous work darling!!!

Artyjen said...

Like that tag Hels....fab stuff on there ;)
xoxo Sioux

Redanne said...

Oh I do love that stamp set by Brett, it is top of my wish list at the mo! Your tag is Fab-u-lous with a capital F! Love all the elements you added too. Hugs, Anne x

Aquarius said...

Who cares about dust and crumpled clothes when this is the result of your days labours. Just love the image and all the rest of it

Marleine said...


Hi Hels,
Love Lord Snooty stamp and tag. You used my favourite distress colours. Brill. X

Karen Petitt said...

Love it! He definitely looks like a Lord Snooty! Gorgeous colours too. I love how steam punk the whole thing is! Karen x

Carole Z said...

OOOH do love Lord Snooty, fab tag too! Carole ZX

Kirsten said...

Wow, that's certainly a stunner. Love it & you did Lord Snooty proud, he looks splendiferous.

EmmaT said...

Evening Hels, i also luv lord snooty, reminds me of my grandad! Lovely tag and i can see him being used alot. Emma

Rebecca said...

Oooo love it these stamps are great aren't they?
Happy craftin
Rebecca

jane gray said...

Lovin your work as always hels. Must say I'm swooning over the new TH stamps, infact I wish I started collecting them years ago. Just means I have a lot of catching up to do. Hay ho!

Take care
Janex

Claudine said...

Hahaha! You make me laugh Hels! I love Lord Snooty, he is awesome on this project and your tag came out perfect!!!

nannapat said...

Lurve the look of Lord Snooty. Your tag is absolutely fab Hels. Pat x

Joanne said...

Will look at this properly on my puter but what I see is amazing. I think he looks like a posh bloke from the cowboy and Indian era.
Xx

Suzanne Pattison said...

Another masterpiece. Love it. Looking forward to seeing you at BITB on Friday. Can't wait to see what you have got in store for us.

Words and Pictures said...

He's very cool, looming off the tag like that! Love the background, and those gears and lightbulbs are fab!
Alison x

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Love this tag...the background is wonderful, too. Great coloring. And, the dust bunnies will just multiply as soon as you clean them up...and the clothes will wrinkle. You are making art....and I would say you have our priorities in order!

Lin W said...

I LOVE his stuff cant wait to get the new stamps
xxx

Kate said...

Fab tag. He makes me think of some shady character in a Shelock Holmes novel!

** Kate **

Nan G said...

I lurves it! Dust be be d--- ..... Ink rules. (grin) says a gal with mega dust bunnies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails