Sunday, 21 October 2007

An Altered ClipBoard

Hello again,

I have been busy getting inky fingers again today. A couple of months ago I bought a little A5 size Clipboard with the intention of altering it and making it look old and well worn. There is a clipboard in the office where I work that is as old as the hills and is all battered and chipped so I wanted to make this new one look as old and loved as the one at work.


Here is a piccie of the clipboard before I set out to alter it. As you can see, it is very shiny and the clip is actually silver metal....but not for long!!


I used my favourite Alcohol Inks to change the colour of the clip. I used Rust, Ginger and Latte inks, firstly applying with the little applicator tool and finally resorting to using my fingers as the clip is so fiddly! Needless to say, my fingers and nails are now a lovely shade of brown!!



Once I had altered the clip, I used Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress inks to change the colour of the board. Once I had covered both the back and the front of the board with the inks, I gently swiped Walnut Stain Distress ink over the edges, using a piece of Cut & Dry foam to do this.

Now I had the base of the project completed, I used water in a spritzer to add a little more distressing to the board. Using Espresso and Gold Acrylic Dabbers to drag a few lines across the surface achieved even more of a distressed look. Finally, I used a piece of medium grade sandpaper and rubbed at the edges of the board to make it look a bit battered.

I decided to use the Diamond paper from the Maison Collection by K & Co as a border on the front of the board. I used my paper distresser to rough up the edges of the diamonds and then I attached this to the front of the board using Glossy Accents as an adhesive as normal dry adhesives don't stick very well to inked surfaces. I left the diamonds on the paper unstuck and gently rolled them back on theirselves to add to the shabby finish. :o))

To get the word "Notes", I used my Tim Holtz Chronicles alphabet stamps with Walnut Stain ink and also used my new stamps "Spills and Splatters" from the new Tim Holtz Collection. I think the cup rings add a realistic touch of distressing to the project. I used my Crop-A-Dile to punch a hole in the top of the board, got my hubby to snap a pencil for me and I used a Stanley knife to make a groove in the top of it, so I could tie a bit of string around the pencil and string it through the hole.

The back of the board is just a few images that are my favourites, the odd sentiment and a few bits of Maison "Roses" paper add a final touch to the back.


The stamps I have used are from the Tim Holtz Collections, Catslife Press and PaperArtsy.

I am really chuffed with the overall finish of the board as it turned out exactly how I wanted it to. I have got an A4 size clipboard ready and waiting to be altered and now I have finished the little one, I am more confident to have a go at the big one!!

Thanks for looking

Hels x

5 comments:

Andrea said...

love the coffee stains and the whole clipboard is just great, brill work again Hels x

Hels said...

Aw, thanks hun...I am well chuffed with it LOL xx

Dan said...

I *love* that coffee ring stamp, enjoyed using it on my most recent thing too. Lovely work Hels! :o)

She said...

Looks great. Well done you! Sheils xx

Linda Elbourne said...

I love it XXX

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails