Tuesday 26 March 2013

Feeling Tattered...

...yep, that be me...but more of that in a mo!  But ... that also be the canvas I have to show you today.  So, last month, the one and only Duke of Distress (aka Mr Tim Holtz) issued forth a challenge... he said "make something using the Tattered Florals die".   Well, never being one to shy away from a challenge I decided that because the Tattered Florals die is my most beloved and used die from the Alterations collection, I would, indeedily, join in.  After all, it is a challenge and Mario (Mr BTS) also had hinted there be prizes!  Well, I had this planned out and sketched three weeks ago.  I know!  Three whole weeks.. that is 21 days of having the sketch sitting there, waiting to be made into something real.   I knew I would be coming to this canvas in dribs and drabs because of work commitments.  What I didn't factor in was my stoopid war wound flaring up and rendering me unable to even sit and make a rose!   And.. the deadline for the challenge has been and gone... alas, I didn't get it finished in time but... I rather like it so thought I would share it anyways.  (plus, being as I have been crippled with agony for the past week or so, I ain't got 'owt else to show you lol)



So.  My usual paper blocking (addicted.... to see the original genius who invented this technique CLICK HERE... her name be Paula Cheney and I have a craft crush on her art and genius ideas)   Anyways, paper blocking with some Bazzill Aged papers and then a nice coat of Mushroom Eco Paint to blend the papers together.  The next coat is my "safety net" layer - using either Multi Medium or Glue & Seal not only gives the papers a coat of protection, it also means that if you goof up any spraying or stencilling you can wipe it off and not make the papers yukky.  I used my Stabilo All pencil to add black lines to emphasise the layers of paper and then gave the canvas a smidge of a spritz of Black Marble Dylusions spray.  And, because of the sealed layer, if you do goof this bit up, simply wipe it off with a babywipe and try again.  Good huh?



Next came the die-cutting... those Tattered Floral roses I make are my fave... I love the big and blousy nature of them (ahem, bit like me right?)  I made three big roses from the largest flower on the die and then 3 smaller roses using the smaller flower on the die.  If you have not made roses like this before or are struggling, there's a photo tut in my left hand side bar.   Now, you all know I am a disciple of the Goddess of Embellishing, the one and only Ania Dabrowska (HERE is her blog) and I just took delivery of lots of her new embellies (actually, ok, I got the whole lot - stamps, stencils, papers, the lot... well, I sent those pixie fitting shoes back... the refund was well spent lol)   So, I used one of the new stamps that is also part of my Snazzy DT pack this month (HERE are some of the gorgeous creations from the other teamies)  I stamped the dots in black Archival and then heat set it - we got that sealed layer remember... and Archival needs heat setting on anything that is shiny or waterproof.  Next I set about adding leaves, cut from the Tattered Leaves set and then came the fun bit... the embellishing!



Now, I make no secret of my "word of the year" which is WISH.  And because I plan to hang this canvas in the Room of Stash, I figured that this word would do very nicely, so I die cut the letters using Grungeboard and the Word Play Alterations die... then painted the letters black and gave them a good old coat of Glossy Accents - which fits in with the Sunday Stamper this week ... and there's candy for an entrant too... deets HERE if you fancy a chance at winning some nice stashly goodies.    I used Florentine and White Fire Treasure Gold to add blingy metallics to the embellishments... check out the butterfly - that is a Graphic 45 metal butterfly, stamped using another of Ania's stamps using Black Archival and the little nut in the middle is an Engraver (Prima) embellie and it says... ART! Pretty cool huh?  Anyways, once it was all assembled and dried, I bobbed two Screw Eyes into the back and added some wire so my canvas can hang nicely in the Room of Stash....   I just wish I had got it finished sooner but.... 



So.  This old war wound has been getting me down for a few weeks now and countless phone calls to get an appointment at the Dr's finally paid dividends today when I actually got in to see him.   Seems I am in the middle of a "crisis" at the moment... because it is a degenerative disease, it means that I poddle along coping with the pain levels for a while, then it gets worse, I feel more pain, I then get used to the worsening pain and so the cycle begins.  This time though... I swear, sitting, standing, laying down, walking... you name it, it has been a.g.o.n.y!   Well, the Doc has said that it is another "crisis" and he has given me some more meds to take with the cocktail of meds I already take.  I have taken two so far and within about an hour of the first one, I felt able to sit and finish the canvas!  Yay!  I admit, I do feel ever so slightly squiffy... which isn't going to help me when I need to drive but if I can get the pain back in its box, I will be able to work around that.   Anyways, enough of my wafflings on about negative stuff... and onto the positive... I am getting myself ready for the Four Day Deal starting on Monday (yep, 1st April, I am not even contemplating any April Fools' = I am fool enough lol)  If you haven't seen the sidebar, I am doing a special Melt Pot thingy on Create & Craft.    Should be good!   Right, I have kept you long enough with my ramblings, I shall away to get some more art made before the pills wear off!  Thanks for looking... have a great evening... TTFN

Hels x

31 comments:

Helen said...

Good to hear that your back is settling down again. This is beautiful - I really must have a go at the paper blocking soon! As always, your flowers are stunning.

Yvonne said...

So pleased to hear that you're feeling we'll enough to sit at your craft desk. Love your canvass.
Will definately be tuned in for your Melt Art shows as I need to replace my meltpot.
Have fun xxxxx

Inkypinkycraft said...

a really fab canvas full of your wonderful style..used your rock candy through a stencil for post tomorrow ..linked it to here..fab idea hope you feel a bit less pain soon hugs trace x

Aquarius said...

This is wonderful and what a shame you missed the deadline - thanks for sharing it anyway. I do hope you get your pain under control soon as being in pain can be a real - (well PAIN!!) can't describe it any other way. Take care and I look forward to the AprilFool meltpot!!

rachel said...

your canvas is just wonderful Hels - - so sorry to hear about the pain and hope the meds are working now. Looking forward to the melting pot thingy - exciting xx

Carole Z said...

So sorry to hear that your back is playing up, but glad the mess kicked in for you to finish this wonderful canvas! I fully intended to enter this challenge and never for anything made :( Carole Z Xx

toni said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and your canvas is a beautiful work of art. I hope tim pops by your blog and sees it sometime! So sorry to hear about your battle with pain it's so debilitating. I shall look out for your melt pot shenanigans x

Words and Pictures said...

Really stunning canvas - amazingly delicious!! Do hope the meds sort you out soon...
Alison x

Redanne said...

You poor thing, as if you don't have enough pain already! Hope the new medication does the trick and you are able to drive. Your canvas is simply stunning! Hugs, Anne x

LoraineC said...

Love your canvas as I do everything of yours. Will look forward to the four day deal hope your pain eases xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh Hels, this is a stunner!!! The patchy papers and the layers of florals all in this neutral scheme...BRILLIANT AND BEAutiful! I love your wish too! Gorgeous! Sorry about your back! Get that in check before I arrive...no fun!

Linda Simpson said...

What a stunning canvas, I love everything you have added to this! I am going to be doing my first canvas next week with my friend. :) Thank you for the inspiration and looking forward to seeing you on Monday :)

Hugs
Linda xxx

Claudine said...

This is so beautiful Hels, I must try that blocking technique, it's so cool. Hope your feeling much much much better soon.

Joanne said...

Right that's it I'm totally pee'd off 'cos you keep making he most unbelievable arty stuff that I so want on my walls. This just has to be THE most gorgeous creation in all the world. Such talent....
xxx

Joanne said...

ok he should read the

Marleine said...


Hi Hels,

Glad to read on FB that your back is easier with the new med, long may it last.

Love this work of art. X

The Taming of the Glue said...

You would have won a prize for sure! Hope the meds keep on working and you're mostly pain free. So looking forward to the melt pot shows...hoping it will make me get mine out again.

Gerrina said...

It is a pitty that you couldn´t enter this canvas; it´s so beautiful! Good luck with your pain, hugs, Gerrina

EmmaT said...

Hi Hels, gorgeous canvas, love everything about it from the colours to the embellishments. Tattered florals also my most used die so versatile. Emma

The Hardy Stamper said...

Your canvas is beautiful Hels! I hope that your pain eases really quickly and that you are able to create more lovely eye candy.

nannapat said...

Another fab canvas Hels. I'm really looking forward to your shows next week and hope that by then your back is loads better. Pat x

darcydaydream said...

Loving the canvas..you do inspire me. I'm going to have a go at the paper blocking next I think..Take it easy and hope you have less pain soon. Can't wait to see you on the 4 day melt pot deal...hopefully will pick up some more tips as well as from doing the workshop which was just fab by the way.
gentle hugs
Christine in Darcy.....xx

Pat said...

Hi Hells
What a beautiful piece, I love the paper piecing technique.
I hope you are feeling better
I do not have a blog so will send some pictures of my Sunday scrappers "creation"
Pat

lucretia said...

I love everything about it. In fact, I wish I had it hanging on my wall. It's really fabulous! Sorry you missed the deadline...

Elizabeth said...

Hi Hels, sorry to see that you are not too good at the moment and going through a pain crisis ... my doc calls these flare-ups - a rose by any other name. Hope the meds do the trick. On to the canvas - fabulous! And you've given me just the technique for a project I'm working on at present so I'll be clicking that link and visiting your craft crush - like the term, that will be what we all have for Mr T then :)) And even because cyber ones might help, hugs, Elizabeth xx

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful. So sorry to hear about your pain flare up, and hope your meds sort it out without you feeling woozy all the time.
Carol.x

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Hels, Really hope your new meds do the trick for you, It's no joke when in constant pain.
Your canvas is stunning, I love the paper blocking, I have never tried this, yet !! I popped across to Paula's Blog, another gorgeous canvas.
Looking forward to your meltpot shows.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Pat said...

Hi Hels. Great canvas and such interesting techniques. Hope you are feeling better now your meds have kicked in. I have sent a mail with my entry into this week's Sunday Scrapper

Love Pat

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Hello, Beauty MacGorgeous! Very, very nice work today. I'm sorry you weren't well, happy you're better, hopeful you'll be MUCH better. Thanks for the fresh inspiration and thanks for the continuing inspiration. You're awesome.

Mrs Beez said...

Wowzer - this is amazing. Fab colours and gorgeous arrangements. If it doesn' look right in your room of stash then I think could probably find space for it!!!

Caroline said...

Where to start? 1stly, BIG SOZ for being a day late, I was battling with a project yesterday. It's been going on & on & on...... Deadline was.. Mothers Day.., oops!! Good job I'm known in family for being a let down, lol!
Now, another smaller soz for above 'me me me'!
So, U, U, U... I do hope those painkillers have done their job by now, really horrid for U :((
Easy to comment on your canvas.. Absolute WOWZER! Truly, paper blocking is cool & those flowers?? WISH I had your dies! How you have made them look, big bundle of gorgeousness!!
You really have had a stress run lately what with agonizing pain & travel hazards - bless U!
Can't wait for Melt Pot show, still got last one saved for inspiration.
I accidentally made a tag this morning - it has stamping & shine? If it ends up ok, may just send for tomorrow.
Phew, you must recognise my comments by length. Soz... Again.
Take care, say hello to Alfie cat. Thanks for everything - U Rock!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails