Saturday 14 July 2012

Favourite Things...

...I have been having a few conversations over the past few weeks about "styles"... you know... like "what is YOUR style?" Or, "that is just YOUR style" Well, I asked myself "what actually IS my style?" I have come to conclusion that I haven't really got one... I am more of a "habit" kind of person. I do like to have my little routines, I have habits but more than anything, I have favourites. I am talking about my whole life here too, not just the arty crafty stuff. I have favourite people, favourite foods, favourite socks, favourite songs... the usual, you know, most of us can admit that we all have favourites. I tend to go through "phases" of doing stuff... I will make tags for a few months, then do cards, then ATC's, altered art... you know what I mean? Well, I admit... I am a bit bored with just doing tags all the time... plus, I have so many here that I am running out of room... so I need to do some more 3d things for myself....


In my arty crafty stuff, my favourites are, above all else, flowers. I have been told a few times that I rarely make something without bunging a flower on it. Well, that is totes-true! Because I LOVE flowers. I love to make something and add a little floral embellishment... be is a big old blousy rose or a little resin bloom, I am not fussy... so long as it is flower. Another favourite thing is the good old fashioned heart. They work their way into my stuff quite regularly too... usually a die cut or on the end of a pin... or a stamp. This one today is a hand drawn and cut out one. And of course, another favourite, albeit a new one, is that paper blocking technique... along with the layering stuff onto card or canvas and then painting over the top.



So, I thinks to meself the other night, I will combine all my favourites and have a play. Which is exactly what I did. I started out by cutting up some snips of BG Capella paper (6 x 6 pad, perfect size) and then popped them onto one of those cheapy IKEA frames that are now discontinued... how rude!!! Fancy discontinuing them!!! I was gutted to go alllllll the way to IKEA just for more frames to find they had NONE. I was right about to throw myself on the floor and have a paddy.... thank goodness I realised that I am in my 40's and throwing myself on the floor would make me look like a nutter lol Anyways... where was I? Ah yesh, the frames. Well, I happened to rummage and find a pack of them in the teeting tower of alterable stuff. So, the papers were blocked onto the frame and then swished over with a babywipe dipped into Traditional Tan paint (THE best paint, see another fave!) Once dried, it had a good coat of Ranger Glue & Seal to... yep, you guessed... seal it!



Next came the heart. I drew half a heart, cut it out and then used it as a template. I am cack at drawing symmetrical things... so the half template works perfectly. That was on plain old cardstock. I then layered up some die cut bits and bobs and some masking tape (which is now hidden lol) and then used Cut & Dry to add Juniper and Cloudy Blue Dabbers to the heart. I then blended some Espresso Dabber mixed with Trad Tan paint to add some browny shading to the top and edges of the heart. Of course, the Stabilo All pencil made an appearance and that did the shading for me on the heart and on the frame too. I cut some card to fit behind the heart and made the edges lighter, lightly tracing where the heart would be and making this a bit darker so it looked like a shadow. Finally, my favourite bit, the flowers... Prima's and paper roses... coloured with a few drops of Bundled Sage reinker in a Mini Mister of water. The addition of stamping onto Masking Tape and a smidge of gold embossing to finish it off.


And there you have it... a few of my favourite things. I am really enjoying doing more 3d arty stuff at the moment - I am not saying I shalln't be doing tags, cos you know me, a creature of habit and all that... Anyways, I have taken up enough of your time for one day, so I shall loves ya and leaves and say thanks for looking... ooh and a new Sunday Stamper theme tomorrow too! TTFN

Hels x

21 comments:

Artyjen said...

Heck Hels I am in a paddy with you for the lack of essential crafy stuff from ikea! LOL 'Tis a fabby bit of art you made today! :)
xoxo Sioux

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Hels...I love your flowers! Whatever the flowers you create! But I love the heart on this too.
Dot x

Barb Cady said...

You've got me humming 'a few of my favourite things' now, and the tune will be with me all day! But, have to say, you're fav. things are very delicious, so keep doing what you're doing cos it's fab! x

Inkypinkycraft said...

Aother beautiful piece, yes went to ikea to get mirrors to potter with....and non!!was mightily fed up myself!!! Trace x

Astrid Maclean said...

Only one word for it, GORGEOUS!!! I have come to the conclusion that I share so many of your favs, that really it's no wonder I adore your creations! So glad you joined our little team at Snazzys cos it's only since then I have been looking at your blog, silly me, should have done it years ago.

Hope you have a great and creative weekend!!

Carole Z said...

Hi Hels, this is gorgeous! I don't think I have a style either..I like to dabble, try different things so I'll be steampunk one day and cutesy the next..but I do have a hankering for flowers too..and bunting:) Carole Z X

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...a beautiful piece Hels, loVe the shabby chic vibe, hearts & flowers always a winner with me but then everything you create is a yummy treat...Mel :)

Helen said...

Tis gorgeous as always, Hels! Love your flowers, (you got me humming 'paper roses' now, damn you!!!) and the heart is fab. Must try this paper blocking thingy one day.. as I have a few bits of paper around... Have a great weekend.

Kyla said...

love it....have been reading through your paper blocking pieces, think I may have to have a go at this myself. Loving your 3D pieces.
kyla

Annie said...

Hi Hels this is a gorgeous creation. Love the heart and flowers. Brilliant colour palette too. Thanks for sharing x

Elaine said...

Lovely creation and subtle colours. Now you've tempted us all with the blocking technique you've got to choose the Sunday Stamper theme so we can all have a go!

Joanne said...

I just love it when you explain how your incredible creations have come into being. For eg. the paper blocking or how you made a perfect heart and how you added colour etc. etc. However, one thing you will never be able to explain is how your ideas are formed and knowing what colour, medium or embellishment goes with what. for me that's what makes you genius.
Hugs Joanne xx

Redanne said...

Ha, I didn't have a style until I followed you, now I am slowly developing one (I think). You inspired me to work with wood blocks and now I love it (you have not seen them but I always mention you). This blocking technique is new to me, not quite sure about it yet, but your piece is stunning - love our thought processes too. A x

Andrea said...

just perfection Hels and the hearts a sunner, hope all is well in the Sheridan home xx

Krisha said...

Smashing project, all ur favs all together. U rocked it!

Shazza said...

Hels you are one of my favourite persons!! Love this, it's fab x

Marjan said...

Hi Hels, I am a Dutchie and discovered you because of my recent subscription to The craft Stamper magazine. You inspire me! Thanks! And besides.. You make me laugh... :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Miriam said...

Lovely work Hels. As I was reading I was ooohing and aaahing!! (LOL!) - it was a good job no-one was listening to me!

Oh, by the way - I still have a whole pack of those yummy frames that I didn't realise I had til last week!

Gillian .... said...

Ooooo & ahhhh, this is a stunner ... and certainly full of Hels stylee, gorgeous hun. xxx

whyducks said...

So very Pretty!

craftimamma said...

Ooooh, that heart is just stunning Hels and I do love the colours too. I'm with you on the flowers and you certainly know how to make a variety of those ............ every one of them beautiful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails