Tuesday 28 February 2012

Just In Case...

... several decades ago I bought myself a couple of little papier mache suitcases to alter... and promptly put them into the big box labelled "stuff to alter" and then did nothing with them. Being as I am a reformed character and now have a spotlessly neat and tidy craft room, I happened across said box of stuff to alter the other day and copped sight of these little cases... which were just perfect for altering and labelling with those Tim Holtz label stamps.



Out came my Claudine Hellmuth Studio paints (the best IMO) and off I set... merrily painting away (and getting clarted up in the process) I used Sable Brown for the base of the cases and Charcoal Black for the straps and handle. Once they were all dry, I gently sanded the edges and added some Walnut Stain DI to make them look a smidge shabby. I added gold Dabber to the edges as hardware and I don't know about you but I reckon they look a little like a Vagabond... only not as big and as heavy lol




The labels were all stamped onto copy paper using various Archival Inks and then I coloured them (whispers) Distress Markers. The bigger case has got some Alphaparts on it for olde-fashionede initials... these were just pounced with a gold Dabber and stuck on with a bit of Cosmic Shimmer glue (IMO the best all purpose glue around!)


So... the little case fits inside big case but what fits inside the little case? Well, I made a little folded tag thingywotsit... not sure what you would call this ... a taglet perhaps? It is one of those mahooosive tags, scored and folded and then a little page added. This was coloured with Broken China, Wild Honey and Aged Mahogany DI's and then stamped with various Tim stamps... oh and I did a Snowcap Dabber resist to the outside of the taglet... I do love a nice resist :O))



I added a Grungepaper closure thingy... this is cut from the Hardware Findings Alterations and fastened with a Hinge Fastener *am sooo gutted that these have been discontinued... I use them all the time :O(* and popped a little sentiment over the brad legs that were poking through inside the back bit of the taglet. I made a mini rose from the mini Tattered florals die and stamped one of the butterflies again, coloured with DM's and then popped an Idea-ology Trinket Pin for his body.


So... here I am in not so sunny Preston and... I have got wet feet! Well, not at the moment but I did have and I will have because... I am such a numpty! When I left home yesterday it was warm and dry... and I didn't have enough room in my bag for my Birki's, which I like to wear when I am demo-ing. So, instead of finding room I thought "I know, I will wear them....." and left my other shoes at home. Whooops, when I got here yesterday it was raining hard... and it is still raining now.. not as hard but rain all the same. Memo to self: be prepared lol



Well, I had better get a move on, I am in my lovely hotel room and I have breakfast to eat and my bag to re-pack (and knowing just how much I love packing you will know how I am looking forward to that job lol) I am really looking forward to today's demo day at Cardcraft Plus... the cases are with me... as is several tonnage of tags for my display ... I hope to see you there :O)) Thanks for looking ... TTFN!

Hels x

33 comments:

Penni said...

Love this little suit case - I've had a couple of these for ages but actually putting ink to them is a bit scary - I'm not really sure what to do with them LoL

I love the labels you've added they are perfect.

Hugs
Penni
X

Helen said...

Not sure I like this new blogger commenting position down the side. However I DO like your suitcases and the taglet. Very pretty. Enjoy Preston - hope your feet dry out and the class goes well.

Joy said...

WOW!!!! I looooove this! :)

Unknown said...

Such a fab project! love, Julia xxx

shirley said...

LOVE your cute suitcase and taglett!
PS: received my dusty concord stain today :)

Minxy said...

Had to get on your CASE about how good this is, And i love the taggage too x

Joanne said...

How clever and yes, they do look like mini vagabonds. Enjoy your breakfast. see you later.
Hugs Joanne xx

Rita said...

Oh my googness Hels, this is mindblowing. I have never seen anything like it before, I know I must have led a sheltered life. I just can't stop looking at it. Everyday is a new day for me since finding your blog. Hugs Rita xxx

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

This is fabulous Hels. I will be shamed into altering my little suitcases in the things to alter pile too!

Anonymous said...

Have a fun day but mind you voice, we need you in full fettle for Saturday xx

Lizzy said...

Lovely little case, don't you just love getting messey doing these alteration thingys... very very lovely and would look great in my craft room !!! have a lovely day.

jude said...

Gorgeous cases and absolutely love the way youve decorated them those stamps .I have just found the sets of paper machie books iv'e had years just found last week on the clearout.Hope weather brightens up and you have fab day
hugs judex

Kirsten Alicia said...

I love what you did these cases, they are gorgeous. And the little tag booklet is beautiful. Have a fantastic day at Cardcraft Plus, hope your feet don't get any wetter. :)

Erika said...

Wow love it Hels. Great inspiration to get all inky...just where to start!! Gave you a wee toot on my place today with pics from the show, hope you likie?!
Erika.

Dee in N.H. said...

That turned out beautiful! Have fun today!

Becky said...

Love the boxes Hels I have loads of boxes and books to do

Artyjen said...

Have a great day despite the rain!
xoxo Sioux

Redanne said...

Love what you have done with the cases, I did one for hubby last year and put a gift card in it, they are so cute. Was coming but we both have bad coughs and would scare everyone away! Have a good day, hope it stops raining.

Lillibelle said...

What a great, creative idea!
It´s sooo beautiful!
I like it very much.

Carol said...

I made one last year but i love your labels. Hope enjoy Preston.

LisaK said...

Lovely Hels!
Something about old suitcases...

crafty creations said...

Wow again fantastic works of art Hels -think I have some in m y "To Alter" box lol!! have a great time in Preston can't make it there but am so excited 'cos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to meet you - after all the time we have "chatted" - I am booked on the workshop at Dawn Bibbys March 25th and can't wait !!!

Hugs Hilda

lainey said...

Oh I lurrrve this Hels, so cute and fab tag thingy:) lainey x

craftimamma said...

Ah, this is so cute Hels and so authentic looking. Absolutely love the folded tag thingy inside the case. Lots of perfect little details and the colours are so nice.

I'm sure you're having a really good day but I do hope your little tootsies are dry today>

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Kathy Eddy said...

Just beautiful Hels, and yes, it does look like a mini Vagabond.

Shazza said...

fab, fab, fab, fab, fab!!!! I love them hels x

Caz said...

I have these....and the label stamps....but no distress pens :-(
Love the idea of the little taglet inside!
Hope you've had a good day at Preston and the voice is OK?!?!?!?
See you Saturday (and Sunday!)
xxxx

Linda M. Cain said...

Wonderful colors! LOVE it!

~Linda

Unknown said...

Love these little suitcases and you've done a stunning job of it x

Von said...

Lovely case full of goodies Hels :)
Von xxx

okienurse said...

love those cases and the thingeywotsit in the one case. Awesome altered projects! Thanks for sharing. Vickie

Ann said...

I love your suitcase Hels...it does look like a mini vagabond :D
I really love your taglet thingy, the colours are devine & how clever to use a closure on the body of the insect....Cool!!
Hugs
Ann xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

How cow travel girl...this is positively grand!!! The case and the mini album rock!!! WOW!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails