Thursday 16 February 2012

He's A Heart Throb...

...I think of all the Stampotique stamps I own, this is my fave little fella... he is called Heart Throb and here he is today with his little pet Kitty. A couple of weeks ago I did a mini canvas using Claudine's gorgeous paints and I enjoyed it sooo much that I decided to make a bigger one - this is 5" square and is a deep edged one (IMO, the best ones to work with) and I have teamed up Claudine's gorgeous colours mixed together to make more gorgeous colours - they are perfect because you can mix them and you don't get seven shades of doo-doo!


So... the canvas was pre-gesso'd so I went right in with a big old paint brush and slapped a layer of Dab of Yellow all over it and gave it a zap with my heat tool... I am always a bit careful when drying paint because it bubbles when it gets too hot... so I just waffed the heat tool over the top of the canvas til the paint was done. I used a spatula to apply the next few layers... starting off by mixing a 50p size of Dab of Yellow with a 5p size of Dash of Red... this makes the most delish bright orange... but did you know... if you mix Pastel Yellow with Modern Red you get a totally different shade of orange? That is just how cool these paints are! Building the layers of scraped on paint is easy... just dry the layer in between applications... on the canvas, in order are: Dab of Yellow base, orange (mixed as mentioned), Altered Orange and Dash of Red. On top of all of those layers I added smidges of Gesso - I was a bit heavy handed in one patch of it so I just went in with a baby wipe and smudged some of it off... simples :O))


I used the diamond background Dylusions stamp (my favest already!) and stamped in Charcoal Black... once this had dried I used a Pitch Black Dabber to add edges to the canvas and then used bottle tops to add black and white circles... and the edge of a Ranger scraper to add a couple of lines. Heart Throb and Kitty are stamped onto copy paper and coloured with Distress Stains... and the sentiment is done the same way - edging around all the images with an "All" Stabilo pen and then smudging these edges with a waterbrush. A few months ago Kate Crane had a gorgeous canvas piece in Craft Stamper... her project gave me the idea to combine Stampotique with painty techniques... I have to say, anything painty/journally etc that I make is usually inspired by Kate... she really is a classy lass... check out her BLOG... totes amaze-balls :O))



Right then, I had better get a move on... I am working on some more class samples today and am champing at the bit to get to the desk (still neat and tidy BTW) Oh but, before I go... I got asked a couple fo Q's yesterday: First one... NO Kathy, I am not making the kitchen and inky tip and leaving the Room of Stash tidy... cheek of it eh? ROFL And secondly... Alison Horne asked where I got the Optical Lenses from... ahah, that would be from eBay (US) and I got a bundle of them (can't remember how much they were) Ok, am offski... have a good day and as ever, thanks for looking... TTFN!

Hels x

17 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh hun this is so much fun and brillaint.
Stunning coloring. This rock. Love them. xoxo

Andrea said...

what a lovely canvas Hels and I adore seeing what you do with the stampotique stamps and they seem so adaptable, great colours on there to xx

Minxy said...

He is totally awesome, I love him and expect him to be in the post to me soon :p

craftimamma said...

Smashing fun little canvas Hels. He's a lovely little character and I've always loved the kitty. The bright colours are perfect here. Love it!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Redanne said...

Yes, Kate's work is very good but I feel totally inspired by what you do, it makes me want to get everything out and just have a go! The canvas is just amazing.

Becky said...

Is'nt he sweet looks like my hubby lol so I love it.Love the colours.x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous canvas Hels, I love the painty inky background, gorgeous colours. I love the Stampotique image too and you have used him perfectly. Tracy x

Joanne said...

This is amazing - AGAIN!! I want to make a canvas so I will. Thanks for the push.
Hugs Joanne xx

ellen vargo designs said...

Ahhhh - I see Dylusions is creeping in! YAY! This canvas is absolutely *delicious* !!! Love the layered painty background, and all the over-stamping with circle, diamonds, and lines = gorgeous! And of course, Heart Throb... he so cute! LOVE IT! have a great day hon -
love ya - Els xxx

Helen said...

Another great canvas Hels. He is a bit of a heart throb!

whyducks said...

Lol Hels I will have to take your word for the state of your kitchen! Love all the layers in this arty piece!

Debby said...

What a cool piece! Love the bright colors. I am slowly beginning to like those images from Stampotique. I don't have any of them yet but I may have to break down. Love his kitty too.

Deb Neerman said...

This is fabulous! Such a wonderful work-of-art!!

Kirsten Alicia said...

Fab canvas, I love the background & of course, Heart Throb is very cute.

Carol said...

Lovely canvas, i like the colour you used.

thekathrynwheel said...

I saw this at approx 5am this morn when I couldn't sleep so decided to browse a few blogs on my phone (as you do!!) Totally gorgeous - love it! The colours just pop and I love the way you added wings to the little fella. Great background too ;-)
And thanks for the shout. Mwah! x

shirley said...

How did I miss this one Hels?
LOVE!
I love Stampotique and your arty canvas. YUM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails