Tuesday 2 March 2010

Taking a Dip...Step By Step...How to...etc...

...In UTEE! And ... making Faux Porcelain flowers! You know I went to Stamperama on Sunday and helped Jennie out and did a Make & Take, well, as I said yesterday, quite a few of the Make & Takee's asked if I had Step by Step instructions on how to do this...doh! I knew there was something I forgot, and I know that when you sit and make something it is almost impossible to remember exactly how to do it...so, as promised, here is a Tut on ... er.. how to do It....*no...not "it" that would be far tooooo silly and rude - lowering the tone as usual Hels* But first of all, I must say thank you to Jennie - 'cos before Friday evening last, I had never made one of these flowers and I love love love making them now - they are addictive...and also to Sherry who started this off, where Jennie got the idea from in the first place :O)




So, here goes - I hope the Step by Steps are clear for you...if you can't read the writing on the pics, please just click on them, this will make 'em big and you should be able to see what it says...oh, and ... I would love your feedback so please leave me a comment and tell me whatcha fink...*only if it is nice though ROFL*


STEP 1

Pour some clear UTEE granules into a Melt Pot - straight into the pan - don't use a Project Pan, it won't get hot enough for UTEE *these are for Beeswax etc* and set the thermostat to UTEE and pop the lid on.



STEP 2

While your UTEE is melting, stamp several flowers onto lightweight cardstock. This stamp is the large flower from the Flower Power set. Use a permanent ink for stamping.



STEP 3

Your UTEE should be melted and ready for dipping in about 10 mins - but this depends on the amount of granules you pop in the pot...you will need quite a bit if you are doing a few flowers at a time, so fill to the MAX level marked inside the pot.



STEP 4

Use Distress Inks to colour your cut out flowers - Distress Inks are special because they keep their true colour when wet - use a background stamp to make a pattern on the flowers. Cut *as shown* to make four layers which will form a rose once dipped and placed. Use clips to secure your petals together when gluing - I always use Glossy Accent to glue 'cos it dries super fast and doesn't affect the UTEE. *note, new DI colours :O))*


STEP 5

Once your petals have dried together, make a peak in the first layer - which has five petals...do this by popping your fingernail under the pointy bit at the bottom and pushing upwards gently, this will give the other layers something to sit on. You will need to make some larger holes in the bottoms of the next layers so they nest together properly.




STEP 6


Use your Cool Tool tweezers and pop the first layer into the UTEE, flip it over and give it a wiggle so it is completely covered in the UTEE both front and back.






STEP 7

Drain off the excess UTEE over the Melt Pot and immediately transfer your layer to a non stick craft sheet. You can leave this alone now...it will begin to harden off and be ready for the next layer.





STEP 8

Repeat the dipping with your next layer - you will see that sometimes the UTEE will bubble, this is normal and it is only because of the water content in the inks and card




STEP 9

Once your four petals are covered in UTEE, drain it a bit, take it out of the pot and immediately place it onto the five petals waiting patiently for you :O)) Now is the time to use your Cool Tool and move the layer around so it sits nicely...*don't be tempted to use your finger to move it...IT IS STILL MOLTEN RED HOT!!!!* Mmm, the voice of experience speaking there LOL




STEP 10

Repeat the process with the next two layers, so eventually, you will have a four layered rose - I have tried to pop the middle single petal into the centre on these roses but the UTEE is a little thick and it wouldn't sit right...so I improvised...which leads me to the next step :O))




STEP 11

First of all....sorry, this is a really baaaad pic and out of focus...typically, the battery was conking out on my camera so I was rushing!! Take a pearl or a bead and pop it onto the end of a pokey tool and dip it into the UTEE, rolling it gently to cover it all the way around....BUT!!! Don't cover over the top and onto the pokey tool...1) it gets HOT and 2) it goes hard instantly and the bead/pearl will not budge! *as I found out on Sunday morning on my first flower....but of course I did that on purpose to show how not to do it LOL


STEP 12

Immediately, pop the pearl into the middle of the top layer of the rose, the UTEE will hold it in place...and....voila! Here is your finished Faux Porcelain Rose, ready to add a badge pin to to make into a brooch or to use as a decorative piece on your art.



VARIATIONS

Whilst fiddling about with the flowers I have made a few variations for you to see;



Five & Four petals - like what we made at Stamperama :O)




Graduating Stamp Sized Layers with Pearly Centre - for this one, simply cut each flower like the first layer of the rose, right up the middle of one petal and draw these together to make five petals, make a peak in the bottom of each layer so they nest...cute huh? The colours used here are...Barn Door, Rusty Hinge and Wild Honey...my fave new DI colours!


Full Rose made using K&Co papers; Large flower, stamped 3 times as before



Hey! Are you still awake???? I know, this has to be the longest post ever, ever, ever ... but... I hope this has been of use to you...and if you did come along to the Make & Take, please leave me a comment to let me know if you enjoyed it...AND...did your badge pin stay put? *we had sooo many probs with those pesky things LOL* All of the products used in this Tut are available from The Artistic Stamper.

Thanks for looking...I am off for a rest now...am worn out with all this typing LOL

Hels x

58 comments:

Lucy Edmondson said...

These are glorious, Hels. You are right, we must have been on the same wavelength,

Lucy x

Fliss said...

Thanks so much Hels, absolutely amazing flowers and really clear instructions. And no, I didn't go to sleep, it actually woke me up (much needed after 8 hours on the road yesterday taking daughter to uni interview!) and has got the creative juices flowing!!!
Fliss xx

Helen said...

Fab tutorial, must dust off the melt pan.

Craftyideas said...

Thank you Hels. Gorgeous flowers brilliant tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Gosh these are amazing,and I have this very day got the same stamps!!!!YAY,only trouble no melt-pot boo-hoo,could always go shopping??? Anyway thanks a heap for the inspiration,IreneX

Linda Ledbetter said...

WOW! Wow, wow, WOW! These are unbelievable! And your tutorial is fabulous and funny and so well written. I can't wait to try this. Thank you for the inspiration!

cheryl said...

hun this is brilliant I know how to make the floewers but could not think how to put them into my melting pot so bless you hun so much for showing that really appreciate it hugs cheryl xxxx

LME said...

Lovely tutorial great flowers :)

Lori said...

This is awesome, Hels! First saw it on Jennie's blog, been wanting to try it, but haven't got round to it yet! mmmm, those new inks are luscious! Great pics of the tute!

Lou said...

Oh these flowers are beautiful!!! And what a fabulous Tutorial!! TFS!!
Sooo jealous you have the new TH Dis Inks already.. The colours are to die for!! They are not in Aus yet!! Thanks also for all the extra little hints!!
Hugs Louxx

Kaz said...

They are fab I love the colours too. I don't have a melting pot so i may try embossing. xx

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Thanks for the great tut! Shall have to dig out the pot and stuff and try this, they all look stunning! (funny gf, you are the only one that writes instructions that I can follow! lol lol)

Sherry Goodloe said...

very cool and nicely done tutorial *smiles*

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Fantastic tutorial and lovely flowers :)
Awaiting my new distress inks........

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

The flowers are wonderful and thanks for the tutorial hun :)
Anne xx

Claire said...

Fab tutorial Hels, those flowers are amazing - love em!
Claire xx

Claire said...

Fab tutorial Hels, those flowers are amazing - love em!
Claire xx

craftimamma said...

Lots and lots of thanks Hels. Fabulous tutorial, very clear and easy to understand and .............. I can't wait to have a go.

I'm waiting very impatiently for my new DIs to arrive. Seeing you use the colours I can't wait.

Lesley Xx

Lynn Stevens said...

Great tutorial Hels! Easy to understand, great pictures! Now go get some rest, you deserve it!

Linda M. Cain said...

Love Sherry Cheever's idea...aren't they fun to make. And you didn't burn yourself or destroy your clothing???? SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

Great Tut!


Linda

Elaine A said...

Great Flowers Hels! I've been telling myself I'll make these after seeing Sherry Cheever's tutorial but have not gotten around to it. Maybe after seeing your's I'll dig out my melting pot and try it. I love the pearls as the centers, so sweet.

Elaine Allen

Diane.W. said...

OOOO,more fab flowers!!!
Luv these,the shiney finish looks luvly :o)x

Andrea said...

these look great Hels, loving the colours of them xx

Unknown said...

How fabulous - I made a right pig's ear of trying to make the grunge paper roses - wasted a whole sheet - perhaps I will have better luck with these

Sandy said...

Thanks so much for this great workshop.
Love your flowers all Hun.

Shazza said...

absolutely gorgeous Hels, I need a Meltpot I think
x

Andrea - Wales, UK said...

Fab flowers...and superb instructions, fanx!!! Got 6 new DI's i NEED the other 6!!! A.x

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Great tutorial, and I know everyone had fun making them :)

Daniele said...

they all look fabulous not sure I'd trust myself with any thing hot...bit of a butter fingers. Your utorial is great and easy to follow well done hugs from Daniele

Kay said...

Great tut Hels, thanks. Such pretty flowers!

Sally H said...

Those are stunning! I love them. They look so much like glass and they are so pretty!

Ann said...

Brilliant tutorial Hels & one I'll definately try as I've just aquired a melt pot today!! How's that for timing!! Beautiful flowers, thanks for inspiration as always!! Ann xx

Thespa McLaughlin said...

Way, Way, Way too awesome! Love this and thanks so much for the tutorial!

Juliet A said...

This is a great tut, and I am encouraged to try it. I only have one question - what do you do with the melted UTEE when you are done?

Hermine said...

They look absolutely fantastic, have to try that out :o)Thank you for this great tutorial!

Angelnorth said...

Great tutorial Hels, the flowers look great!

Kathy Eddy said...

Aren't tjese fun! I made up a few last monthright after I saw them on sherry's blog. I used them to decorate the frame I gave away in the OWOH event. Yeah, ut's tempting to use your fingers to layer the flowers, but fight the urge. I have my fingerprints back again! LOl

Tracey said...

Brill tutorial Hels and yummy flowers, only one problem, I don't have a melt pot, may work if I emboss and shape while still warm, watch out finger prints lol.

judith@poppy cottage said...

Hi Hels, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was there on Sunday with you, and made a flowe. It was a brilliant experience! I had made grungepaper flowers before, but these are much more fun! My pin did not stay on, but I will try superglue as per your suggestion, thanks so much for your time, and the experience, Judith x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic tute Hels, those flowers are gorgeous! xx

Suzie said...

Had to go out and buy everything to make these wonderful flowers, it is so exciting, love how the flowers turned out, my SO was even impressed. Thanks so much for your tutorial it is super.

Krisha said...

Can't wait to try this, now if I can locate my UTTE pot, maybe it is next to the gold paint you've been loking for.....

Ali Manning said...

This is amazing, Hels! I can see myself burning the ends of my fingers off, but it would so worth it to make these great flowers. Thanks for sharing!

Char said...

Thank you very much for the fabulous tutorial.

Rika said...

These are great!

Katy said...

Ooooh, how pretty Hels.

Anonymous said...

Hels, this is a great tutorial. Love the look of the flowers. Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

chocolate rose said...

My fingers Are ALREADY forever inky!!
Thank you so much for the wonderful Tut. I hope it was okay to print it out- no way I could keep running between my melting pot in the other room and my computer to check that I was following the right directions at the right time.
Once I make one or two I won't have to refer to the instructions which you so very carefully and expertly wrote out.
May I kiss your feet...?

peggy aplSEEDS said...

what a great tutorial. the flowers look wonderful!

Theresa Plas said...

Very cool! Love the effect and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing Hels:)

Kerry said...

Wow - absolutely wonderful! Excellent tutorial, easy to understand - pictures great. I'm ready to give it a try!

Nan said...

can't wait to try these on Sunday. my melt pot has cobwebs on it! Maybe it will go with the Sunday challenge??? :) Nan

Zue said...

Hi Hels
I always meant to say how beautiful these flowers are. I do not have a melt pot and so I am not sure I could make them on my cooker as I do with the other flowers I make. I could give it a try!
Sue xx

Julie McDonald said...

Hello Hels, I am not a card maker or stamper but I found your blog through Sue Allans blog and have just looked and LOVE the little flowers, especially the blue one. Very pretty indeed. Julie.

Karen said...

A little behind the times, but so happy I stumbled upon this tutorial! LOVE the flowers!!! And cannot wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing!
Karen

Karen said...

So happy I stumbled upon this tutorial! LOVE the flowers and can't wait to try this technique! Thanks so much for sharing!
Karen

Bea said...

just found these - they are lovely

Carol Q said...

scrumptious Hels thanks for the tutorial

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails