Tuesday 16 March 2010

Going Mouldy...~With a Kabuka ...

Or...Moldy if you are in the US and prefer that :O)) I have had an amazing response to the Rosey Heart Art that I made last week...and the tut I did for the rose and the heart...So, here is the "how to" on the actual metal base itself....and...THANK YOU everyone for being so lovely and kind with your comments and emails...they are muchly appreciated x

QUICK REMINDER OF WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE:




I have started a project today which will be finished for tomorrow...and have taken pics along the way to show you how to use the Ten Seconds Studio's moulds and metals together...in the same way I did the rosey heart base. The Kabuka Mould I have used is #3... the Kabuka's are double sided, so I have used the back side of it...which is all squarey...and just chosen random ones to deboss...but I will show you the pics, so it is easier than me waffling....I have written over the pics, so to see the writing close up, all you need to do is click on the pic and it will get bigger :O))


STEP 1
The chipboard is a 7Gyspies bracket board shape, which I cut down using a Stanley knife and metal edged ruler.



STEP 2
This is the reverse of the Kabuka Mould #3 - the other side has prettier patterns on it :O)



STEP 3
Tracing around the shape you will be using as a base gives you an idea of the lines to work within



STEP 4
Using a paper stump randomly squash in squares...take care not to lean on the rest of the metal though, you may end up squashing squares you don't want :O))




STEP 5
Use a rounded end tool to refine inside the squares, this ensures the metal is pushed right into the squares





STEP 6
Always use a pointy refining tool to get the proper crisp finish on the metal




STEP 7
Remove the metal from the mould...try not to bend the metal when you are removing it




STEP 8
Using a paperstump on the flip side of the metal means you can remove any imperfections or blemishes in the metal




STEP 9
Use a pen/Sharpie to mark around the edge of your chip base piece - then cut out the Humungo and stick it one side of it to your base piece *use non stick scissors*




STEP 10
Peel off one side of the Humungo and stick it straight onto the chip base- peel off the other side of the Humungo and place it face down on the back of the metal - use the traced lines as a guide *use Non Stick Scissor to cut it out...tis VERY sticky*




STEP 11
Use a wheel tool to scootch around the edges of the piece - this neatens it up and finishes it nicely




STEP 12
Using black paint adds aging to the metal piece



STEP 13
Remove the excess paint - leave some inside the squares though, this makes it look a bit oldey and grungey - and...also go around the edges with black paint so it is finished nicely :O))



There :O)) That is all that there is to it....it is a simple yet very effective way of using metal on a project...I have to go now and think up what I am going to do with this next LOL I am thinking a bit of inkyness and a bit of colouring and a bit more metal... It will be here tomorrow - hopefully...along with another...erm...dark secret of the Room of Stash LOL Hope this tut has been of help and I haven't bored you too much :O))

Hels x

29 comments:

Helen said...

am sneaking on here again at work - shhhhh don't tell!

This looks amazing, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to tomorrow's secrets..

Sandy said...

Oh wow thanks for this tutorial.
This is stunning. Looks great.

wwilloww said...

Thanks so much Hels! Great tutorial... just one question,did you use regular scissors to cut the metal? Oh no, 2 questions LOL... did you cut the metal before or after you humungoed (love their term for their tape!!)it to the chipboard? You may have given me the courage to actually try working with the metals and tools I've bought from Ten Seconds...LOL Thanks again!

Chris said...

Fab tutorial, Hels. Looking forward to seeing your finished piece.

I went on one of Leandra and Lin's Artsy crafts workshops this weekend and it was brill!!! Just loving the metal - more stash to buy...

Hels Sheridan said...

Thanks for the comments....have edited the Tut...thank you Willow for asking the Q's..have the answers on the tut itself now...can't access your blog from here :O( so leavin message here hoping you see it x

Juls said...

this is AMAZING!!!!! Love the red and gold together!! such a stunning owrk of art! Hugs Juls

wwilloww said...

Hi again Hels, I found the answer to my first question further down on your blog...I gues time holtz scissors would work just fine. Gosh I just LOVE all your work!! I have not yet come across a just "oh okay that's a nice piece" piece yet LOL instead I have oooohed aaaaahed and craved everything!!! I would say you have a new FAN!!!

Elaine A said...

Hels -

I love this piece! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this tutorial. It is so easy to follow.

Elaine Allen

whyducks said...

Very helpful and clear, thanks.

judith@poppy cottage said...

Thanks for this so much, I am a newbie to metal. I have a starter kit and some metal, I just needed a 'Hels' for a quick tut! Will give this a go now, Judith x

DonnaMundinger said...

Fab tut, Hels! I checked my drawers and I actually HAVE that mold. Quite a few others, too, but have been rather chicken to play with everything. I even have the DVD. What's wrong with me?! I need to stop worrying about getting inky fingers. LOL Will be on the lookout for some of the smaller tools at the Scrap Expo on Friday. Mine are all huge it seems. xxD

Jen said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this - it's amazing.
hugs
Jen x

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing Hels! Nice job on the pics and instructions, even I could understand it! lol Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Kaz said...

Ooohhh fab tute for the metal, I got a few tools for Christmas and haven't got round to making anything yet as I'm scared of it!! This will really help. Thanks xxx

joy said...

Thanks, Hels, for such a great tutorial! Your artwork is absolutely gorgeous and it is wonderful that you share the how-tos for your beautiful projects. Thank you!

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

great tutorial :)

June said...

Hels what a stunning piece of art
June x

craftimamma said...

Definitely not boring Hels! These tutorials are very helpful. Look forward to seeing another finished piece tomorrow.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Ang C said...

You make this technique look really easy - I must invest in some kabuka moulds!

thanks for another fab tut!

Debby said...

Oh my! This is breathtaking! And your tutorial is fabulous and seems easy to follow. I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

ty ! u are the best! now I need to buy tools and humungo whatever that is...wonder if we have it in the States? dying to do metal!!!!! ty ty ty ty ty cher

Sid said...

Great piece !

Laura said...

Fantastic. Very well put together and great photos too!

Craftyideas said...

Brilliant tutorial love this piece it is gorgeous

Gillian McMurray said...

Thank you very much for sharing you tuorial. It's wonderful :o)

Unknown said...

I could probably get away with ditto ditto ditto but just in case .... fab piece. Thanks for the tutorial. I've become much braver since following your blog.

Ann said...

Fabulous tutorial Hels & stunning piece of work - inspirational as always, thanks for sharing xxx

Jayne C said...

Thanks for the very clear instructions....off to practice now!!

Lynne Phelps said...

I tried to find an email link on your blog but couldn't find one. I was so inspired by your project that I made one of my own, and wanted to share it with you!

Metal Tooling: R is for Rebekah

Thanks so much for all the tips and inspiration! I love your blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails