Saturday, 7 February 2009

Objet D'Art - Altered Art - Flower Pot

Hi peeps,

I am honoured to say that I have been asked to be the Guest Designer for the Objet D'Art challenge this week.



Entitled "Potting Shed Productions", the challenge is to alter a flower pot, be it terracotta, plastic, pottery, cracked, broken, whole or just in need to a little attention.

I chose to alter a flower pot because it is something that most of us have kicking around either in the house, garden or shed and we all know how expensive some of the fancy pots can be!



I found this old pot in the back of the shed and after a little dusting down it was ready to alter. I started by priming the whole surface both inside and out, with Gesso. I needed two coats of Gesso as this pot already had a little design on it which needed to be concealed.



Once the Gesso was dry, I applied a thick layer of Ranger Acrylic paint, mixing Willow and Lettuce to get the right colour I needed. Once this was dry, I painted over the outer surface with PVA glue and then immediately applied a coat of Ranger Gold acrylic paint. This is the new to me technique that I am hooked on and it does work really well....in a warm room...and unfortunatly, the Room of Stash was a little bit cold today, so the crackling isn't as effective as I would have liked. I will put that one down to experience!




The pot had two panels inset where the original design was. On the front panel, I used a piece of Appletini Ten Seconds Studios metal and a couple of moulds to make a pattern. I aged the piece by sanding and then applying a thin coat of gold acrylic paint, buffing when this had dried off.




The back panel has been decorated by stamping a flower head onto the Appletini metal and embossing in gold. I attached the metal to some cardstock for ease of application to the pot - using silicone glue to stick the flowers on.





I used a gorgeous scroll stamp by The Artistic Stamper, stamping randomly, using Ranger Archival ink in black, along the top and bottom of the pot and embossing in clear to set the ink.




Finally, I used my Melt Pot and poured gold UTEE into a couple of little mould and pour moulds I had made using an old earring and a fancy button. I added the button UTEE embellies to the top of the pot and the leafy earring embellies enhanced the metal flowers.




Thank you to Jennie for inviting me to be a Guest Designer on the challenge, I am over the moon you asked me and as you know, I just love altering stuff :O))

Thanks for looking peeps and I hope that you find some time to join in with this challenge as it is fun and it will jazz up a tired looking pot, making a cheap and attractive addition to your home.

Hugs Hels x

7 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

OK, as soon as I get home... I'm posting all my pots to your house!! This has turned out beautiful - but then your stuff has a tendency to do that!

Andrea said...

well what can I say Mrs is there no end to your talent and please could I order two for mothers day gifts, this is just the most divine pot I have ever seen xx

Jennie said...

Thank you for being the guest designer, just perfect!
xx

craftytrog said...

Brilliant! Love that paint and pva technique! And great idea of Andrea's for mothers day pressies! x

Hels said...

Thanks peeps :O))

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

It's fab Hels ;)
Anne xx

Shazza said...

you are soooo creative hels, this is great
x

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails