Over on the Lots To Do Challenge the theme this week is In The News. They wanted us to use newspaper somewhere in the piece of art we make......well, er....I sort of used newspaper :O)) Actually, I made my own, after a fashion LOL
I made two tags for my entry - and I hope that they count seeing as there isn't actually any real newspaper on them!
I started by distressing my tag using Old Paper Distress Ink, which I blended randomly over the tag. I then made a lovely inky messy mixture on my craft sheet by squidging a Tea Dye pad, a Walnut Stain pad and then spritzing with a little mini mister that I filled up with water with a couple of drops of Walnut Stain Re-Inker. I splodged the tag straight onto the inky mixture and then dried with a heatgun. I reapplied the tag to the rest of the mixture and dried again. This gave me a lovely distressed look. Next, using a droplet of Vintage Photo Re-Inker, I dipped the tip of a fine paintbrush into it, then flicked the tag so small droplets of ink landed randomly on the surface of the tag. I spritzed with water and dried again with the heatgun. I love doing these inky techniques ... you get so many different looks just from playing around :O))
Next came the stamping - and this is where I cheated a little bit LOL I used a Tim Holtz Collection stamp that is actually a grungey dictionary definition but is ideal as it is a column. I stamped this using Black Soot ink, leaving gaps on the tag for the next bit of stamping. I used PaperBag Studio's stamps of the two boys to make little photo elements to my "newspaper" Finally, I used Studio G Alpha's to create a headline - and I chose the words "I read the news today ... Oh Boy!" which is actually a line from one of my fave songs, A Day in The Life by The Beatles. I thought that these words went really well seeing as I had the boys in the photo's. I left a little gap at the top of the tag so I could stamp my Inkyness by Hels stamp, which has to be my favest stamp of all time and was a pressie from Jennie at The Artistic Stamper - BTW, all the inky ingredients I have used for these tags can be found there too.
Then, cos the headline didn't really stand out, I used a little Fragment from the Idea-ology range over the top, sticking it down with Glossy Accents.
This tag had already been pre-prepared with some Picket Fence Cracklepaint which had been painted on the top half of the tag. I distressed and coloured the tag in the same way as Tag 1 and then got to the stamping.
I used a PaperArtsy stamp from the Ink & The Dog range, which is actually a Weather Forecast. I used the Tim Holtz stamp again to make some columns above the forecast and then added a Crafty Individuals butterfly stamp as an advertisement, popping a Junkitz "fragment" over the top to emphasise it. I wanted a crackley look all over the tag so I used a Crafty Individuals crackle stamp, stamping using Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
Thanks for the fab challenge - it got me thinking :O)) And I hope that the tags are ok for it.
Thanks for looking peeps, hope you all have a great day!
Thursday, 15 January 2009