Another project completed...this one didn't take as long as I thought it would either, which is good cos I will no doubt make more as I really enjoyed playing with this one :O))
I saw a piece of artwork on a wall in a shop I visited this weekend. They had used a mirror with a big frame and popped squares around the frame with different media on them.
I took this idea and expanded it slightly. I have some canvases that have been sitting waiting patiently to be altered. I decided to make a collage on the canvas using mountboard for the squares.
I started off by cutting 12 pieces of mountboard into 1 1/2" squares and a piece into a 3" square.
I used different papers to cover six of the squares, namely Tim Holtz collection papers, selecting random images on them but it turned out that a lot of the images featured the Eiffel Tower. This then led onto me using an Eiffel Tower stamp and an Eiffel Tower wax seal on two of the other squares!
For the non papered squares, I covered 3 with Distress inks, Old Paper, Frayed Burlap and Walnut Stain, and the other three with Old Paper CracklePaint. The centre square was distressed with the same inks too.
The stamping was using all Tim Holtz collection stamps, I made a collage of images on the main square and then selected parts of the other stamps to co-ordinate.
Once all the inks and paints were dry, I sanded the squares and then added embellishments to some of them. I used DooDads, metal embellies and watch faces and findings. I attached all the bits using Glossy Accents as this dries clear.
For three of the squares I stuck Fragment (Tim Holtz) over the top of the papers, again using Glossy Accents and then stuck a larger Fragment to the middle square.
I popped a DooDad picture of the little lad into a bottle cap and then filled with Glossy Accents to set it.
Whilst all this was drying, I Distressed the canvas with Old Paper, Frayed Burlap and Walnut Stain inks. I then used a Gold Acrylic Dabber and a stipple brush and streaked the gold paint across the canvas. I then painted a couple of parts of it with the Old Paper Crackle Paint.
I set all of it aside to dry, I am so impatient normally, so this time I went and made a lasagne to stop myself from rushing it :O))
Lasagne made and hands washed, I nipped back into the craft room and assembled the whole thing together.....and I am really chuffed with the result. It turned out exactly how I planned too!
Thanks for looking and comments gratefully received!
Tuesday, 25 March 2008