Saturday 26 January 2013

Simon Says....

...I have had a few free days this week - what with the old jet lag catch up and all that - and I was mooching around my fave blogs and happened across the challenge that is Simon Says Stamp & Show.  This week they are asking for you to "show what you are known for"   Erm... well, I sat and had a thunk, and thunked a bit more... and decided that I didn't know exactly what I was known for.  Until the lovely Tracy Evans left me a nice comment saying "one of your trademark flowers"  Aha! Light bulb moment.  Yes, it is true, I do like to pop a flower or two onto everything I make.  So then I had a mooch through my blog and spotted that I am rather addicted to all things Studio 490.  There it is!  Studio 490 stuff and a flower!  So I whipped off to the *very tidy* Room of Stash and had a little play:




I was playing, as you do, with stuff on my desk and wondered what Rock Candy Cracklepaint would look like if it was popped onto Embellish Your Art pieces.  So I had another play and posted a photo of the result on Facebook and then decided to make another couple of flowers like this, so I did step by step pics... and here they are!  Here's what you will need:




STEP 1
Colour the EYA piece with Distress Marker.




STEP 2
Heat set the Marker until dry.




STEP 3
Blob Rock Candy Cracklepaint onto the flower and set aside to dry.




And there they are... I don't know if this will work with any other kind of marker... the Rock Candy reacts with the water based Distress Markers so they bleed a bit... I guess permanent markers will stay put... worth a try though!




Anyways... as usual, I have decorated the tag with lots of stuff... so I took a photo of it before decorating.  The background was achieved by layered scraps of book page over the tag, spreading a smidge of Traditional Tan paint over the top and drying.  Next I used Broken China, Evergreen Bough and Peacock Feathers Stains and coloured over the top of the tag and dried it.  Next I used the new Stencils for Art Diamonds and sprayed the new Dirty Martini Dylusions spray over the top.  I dried this and then used another Stencil for Art - Spots and Stream Colorwash spray to add more decoration to the tag base.  Finally, I added smidges of Black Marble Dylusions spray and a Crafters Workshop stencil.




I used some of my favourite Studio 490 Embossing Paste - Black flavour and added some stenciled flowers to the tag base and set this aside to dry.  Whilst drying I stamped the Art Part Phrenology Head with the corresponding Stampers Anon stamp and then coloured with Antique Linen Stain, dried this and then blended smudges of Barn Door DI for the cheeks.  The eyes are Peeled Paint Marker with a couple of white dots.  The specs and lips are Embellish Your Art pieces.  The Top Hat and Flower are also EYA - I added a little feather behind to jazz the hat up a bit too.  The Butterfly also had a smidge of Distress Marker and Rock Candy added to it and then I popped it onto the head as a bow tie.




Finishing touches are the flower - of course, I had to add a flower!  I glued some dictionary page to Clearly For Art and stamped out some flowers and leaves, cut them out and then coloured with Distress Stains... the middle is another of the EYA Rock Candied flowers and some Wordplay die cut letters covered with Black Embossing Paste spell the word ART.



Right, I shall away... I have got a day of ink in the Room of Stash - Grim is away to Norwich to see Luton Town playing in the FA Cup.... finger's X'd they will win... although they are most deffo the underdog!   Thanks for looking... TTFN

Hels x

25 comments:

Terry said...

Hey there Hels, wowwwzerss this is just fabulous hun, I saw your fabby flower on facebook but the step by step makes it even more fabulous. Love it, fabby colors and the background of the TAG is amazing, so if the distress markes bleed a bit does not matter at all, the result is fabulous. Thankss for sharing hun, I LOVE IT Hugs Terry xxxx (and yep learned from you again, thankss sweetie xxx)

Helen said...

At least the weather is a bit better for travelling to football! Love your tag, she looks just gorgeous. Those little flowers are lovely!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Hels, so pleased you decided to join us this week. I love your trademark flowers and Studio 490 creations. Love love the tag even without any decoration. The background is gorgeous as is the texture and layers of interest. Beautifully embellished and stamped. If I saw this anywhere I would know it was your tag. You have showcased what you are known for beautifully and we thank you for joining in with the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Always great to see you playing along. Tracy x x

Redanne said...

Most definitely a piece that shouts out 'Hels made this'... love the embossing paste bits and the clearly for art flower and of course the fab butterfly dicky bow. A really beautiful tag. Hugs, Anne x

PS Fingers crossed for the footie!

Claudine said...

Those wonderful flowers are definitely screaming, Hels!! Haha.. I love them. Is that butterfly from Wendy Vecchi as well? I love it.

barbarayaya62 said...

Beutiful tag! I love embossing paste but in Italy..... love butterfly and flowers !!!!! hugs Barbarayaya

Sandra said...

Gorgeous tag Hels! Love your tutorial of the crackle with the distress markers! And your flowers do look amazing! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Lynne said...

Love this tag! This is definitely a 'Hels' tag!!

Candy C said...

Hels...fabulous tag! Love your step by step for the EYA and also the background for the tag. Love it all!! I am cleaning and reorganizing my studio...but you so make me want to STOP and just go play with inks and stuff! :) I hope all is well with you! Your art is and continues to be amazing! <3 Candy

Carole Z said...

Hi Hels, love love love your fab tag...gorgeous textures and colours...superb! Carole Z X

Kirsten said...

Yep, that's a 'Hels tag' for sure. And it's gorgeous, of course. Hope you're having a lovely day.

DVArtist said...

This is awesome. Your techniques are wonderful.
Nicole/Beadwright

ria gall said...

I love love love this tag Hels and I have to say it is very you. Great colours, layers and texture.
As for those flowers wow
Ria

Unknown said...

hels wonderful artwork and loving all your goodies you bought back with you, hope you all relaxed now and ready to face the world, lots love x x

Annie said...

Fabulous tag Hels. Definitely you. X love the background x

LoraineC said...

Love the tag and Luton won a happy man tonight!

Words and Pictures said...

Fabby flowers, and a great tutorial... Got some of those tiny plastic flowers, and had no idea I could use the DMs to colour them with... Yay! Thank you for that!

Great tag - totally Hels!!
Alison x

Marleine said...


Hiya Hels,
This is one fab tag. It is so you.
Can you let us know how big this is,please? ( feet and inches, pretty please) thanks. X

rachel said...

amazing work Hels - and its definitely very you! Fabulous xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

definitely you and definitely fab! trace x

EmmaT said...

Fabulous tag and techniques, love the flowers. Emma

snazzyoriginal said...

Fab tag love the butterfly collar on the phrenology head xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Be still my heart! I love love love your background!!! LOve it! The phrenology head is grand too, and of course "Your flowers"! You rock and this rocks! Love it! Pinned! Thank you for playing with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week!!!

Anna-Karin said...

Wow, this is stunning!! Love the colours and those flowers are amazing. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Planetsusie said...

I love these colours so much Hels and the tag is brilliant. Great embellishments and those Dame Edna glasses are something else!! Thank you for the tut. on the flowers, I like the result with the distress markers.

Hugs to you and Alfie cat.

Sue Pxxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails